|Call us Now ! (808) 990-1622|
Caring for Hair Extensions
Getting hair extensions requires an investment of both time and money. Make sure you get the most out of your investments by properly caring for them. Your Honolulu hairstylist will provide you with instructions specific to the type of hair extensions you have and may recommend specific styling products.
In general, you can wash and style your human hair extensions in much the same way as normal. However, you'll want to follow these basic guidelines to prevent damage to your own hair, the hair extensions, and the hair extension bonds:
- Brush hair with care. Use your fingers to gently untangle your hair and then gently brush your dry hair with a soft bristle brush or special hair extension brush. Do not yank or tug your hair extensions.
- Avoid heat styling if you can. For human hair extensions, occasional use of hair dryers, curling irons, and flat irons is okay. Make sure not to apply heat directly to the bonds, though. Never use heat on synthetic hair extensions as this can cause them to melt.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly after swimming at the pool or beach or avoid getting your hair wet when swimming altogether by wearing a swimming cap or tying it up in a bun.
- Sleep with your hair loosely braided at night. This will prevent tangling and matting.
- Avoid alcohol-based shampoos and products.
- Wash your hair every two days, or more if you can tolerate going that long. Towel dry your hair gently and wait until your hair is dry before gently brushing or combing.
- Continue with routine haircuts. Your hair extensions can be trimmed and cut along with your hair as needed up until it's time to remove them.
Your hair extension stylist can recommend a variety of products designed specifically for hair extensions.